Letter to the Editor / Reply
- Karim, M. E.; Gustafson, P.; Petkau, J.; Tremlett, H. (2016) "The Authors reply" (Prescription time-distribution matching versus Matching for Time to Exposure). American Journal of Epidemiology. 184 (11): 857-858. First published online: November 16. (Abstract, article link[HTML, PDF], DOI: 10.1093/aje/kww158).
- Shirani, A.; Zhao, Y.; Karim, M. E.; Evans, C.; Kingwell, E.; van der Kop, M.; Oger , J.; Gustafson, P.; Petkau, J.; Tremlett, H.; (2013) "Interferon Beta and Long-term Disability in Multiple Sclerosis". JAMA Neurology. 70(5):651-653. (Abstract, article link[HTML, PDF], reply to editor, DOI:10.1001/jamaneurol.2013.2197).
- Shirani, A.; Zhao, Y.; Karim, M. E.; Kingwell, E.; Gustafson, P.; Petkau, J.; Tremlett, H. (2016) "Observational studies of disease modifying therapies for multiple sclerosis: methodological challenges and opportunities". URL: http://www.bmj.com/content/354/bmj.i3518/rr-2, published online: 22 November 2016. Letter in Response to: BMJ 2016;354:i3518
- Karim, M. E.; Platt, R.W. and BeAMS study group. "Estimating inverse probability weights using super learner when weight-model specification is unknown in a marginal structural Cox model context", Statistics in Medicine, DOI:10.1002/sim.7266, published online 20 Feb 2017, (abstract, [HTML]) .
- Won the Travel Award from the Statistical Society of Canada Biostatistics Section, 2016 (details)
- Karim, M. E.; Petkau, J.; Gustafson, P.; Tremlett, H. and BeAMS study group. (2016) "On the application of statistical learning approaches to construct inverse probability weights in marginal structural Cox models: hedging against weight-model misspeciﬁcation". Communications in Statistics - Simulation and Computation, DOI: 10.1080/03610918.2016.1248574, accepted author version posted online: 21 Oct 2016 (abstract, [HTML])
- Karim, M. E.; Petkau, J.; Gustafson, P.; Platt, R.W.; Tremlett, H. and BeAMS study group. (2016) "Comparison of Statistical Approaches Dealing with Time-dependent Confounding in Drug Eﬀectiveness Studies". Statistical Methods in Medical Research. First published online: September 21. DOI: 10.1177/0962280216668554 (abstract, [HTML, PDF], supporting information)
- Karim, M. E.; Gustafson, P.; Petkau, J.; Tremlett, H. and BeAMS study group. (2016) "Comparison of Statistical Approaches for Dealing With Immortal Time Bias in Drug Effectiveness Studies". American Journal of Epidemiology, 184 (4): 325-335, DOI: 10.1093/aje/kwv445. (abstract, [HTML, PDF])
- Karim, M. E.; Gustafson, P. (2016) "Hypothesis Testing for an Exposure-Disease Association in Case-Control Studies under Non-differential Exposure Misclassification in the presence of Validation Data: Bayesian and Frequentist Adjustments", Statistics in Biosciences. 8 (2): 234–252. DOI: 10.1007/s12561-015-9141-9 (Abstract, [HTML, PDF])
- This work was presented at an invited session at a conference.
- Zhang, T.; Shirani, A.; Zhao, Y.; Karim, M. E.; Gustafson, P.; Petkau, J.; Evans, C.; Kingwell, E.; van der Kop, M.; Zhu, F.; Oger , J.; Tremlett, H. (2015) "Beta-interferon exposure and onset of secondary progressive multiple sclerosis", European Journal of Neurology. DOI: 10.1111/ene.12698 (Abstract, [HTML, PDF])
- Shirani A., Zhao, Y. Petkau J., Gustafson P., Karim M. E., Evans C., Kingwell E., van der Kop M.L., Oger j. and Tremlett H. (2015) "Multiple sclerosis in older adults: the clinical profile and impact of interferon beta treatment", BioMed Research International. DOI: 10.1155/2015/451912 (Abstract, [HTML, PDF]).
- Karim, M. E.; Gustafson, P.; Petkau, J.; Zhao, Y.; Shirani, A.; Kingwell, E.; Evans, C.; van der Kop, M.; Oger , J.; Tremlett, H. (2014) "Marginal structural Cox models for estimating the association between beta-interferon exposure and disease progression in a multiple sclerosis cohort", American Journal of Epidemiology; 180 (2): 160-171. DOI: 10.1093/aje/kwu125 (Abstract, paper link [HTML, PDF], supporting information)
- Gibbs, E. and Karim, M. E and Oger , J; the Steering Committee of the BENEFIT study (Gilles Edan, Mark S. Freedman, Hans Peter Hartung, Ludwig Kappos, David Miller, Xavier Montalbán, Dirk Pleimes, Christoph Pohl, Chris Polman, Rupert Sandbrink). "Antibody dissociation rates are predictive of neutralizing antibody (NAb) course: A comparison of interferon beta-1b-treated patients with transient versus sustained NAbs", Clinical Immunology; DOI: j.clim.2014.12.005, (Abstract, paper link [HTML, PDF])
- Shirani, A.; Zhao, Y.; Karim, M. E.; Petkau, J.; Gustafson, P.; Evans, C.; Kingwell, E.; van der Kop, M.; Oger , J.; Tremlett, H. (2014) "Investigation of heterogeneity in the association between interferon beta and disability progression in multiple sclerosis: an observational study" European Journal of Neurology. 21(6):835-44. DOI: 10.1111/ene.12324 (Abstract, Paper link [HTML, PDF], Supporting Information)
- Shirani, A.; Zhao, Y.; Karim, M. E.; Evans, C.; Kingwell, E.; van der Kop, M.; Oger , J.; Gustafson, P.; Petkau, J.; Tremlett, H. (2012). Association between use of interferon beta and progression of disability in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). 308(3):247-256. DOI:10.1001/jama.2012.7625. (Abstract, Paper link [HTML, PDF], Supporting Information).
- Selected by the journal for a Media Release (JAMA media link, only 46 papers are selected for this each year) which included a Video Interview and Additional Video Comments posted on JAMA’s website.
- Selected for an Accompanying Editorial (Editorial Link).
- Extensive Media Attention: Within one week of publication, there were 4 T.V. interviews (live on CTV National, taped on multiple evening news networks), and extensive news coverage, including NY Times, Fox News, Time, CBC News, Metro News, Global BC, Vancouver Sun, MS Society of Canada, UBC media, UBC Stat Dept News.
- Follow-up: Letter to editor, Reply, Commentary, Citations.
- Recognition in international Statistical Community: This paper’s contribution was officially recognized in the ‘2013 International Year of Statistics – Recognizing the Contributions of Statistics to Society worldwide’ poster.
- Gustafson, P.; Karim, M. E. "When Exposure is subject to Nondifferential Misclassification, are Validation Data helpful in Testing for an Exposure-Disease Association?"
- Fontela, P.S.; Quach, C; Karim, M. E.; Willson, D.; Gilfoyle, E.; McNally, J.D.; Gonzales, M.; Papenburg, J.; Reynolds, S.; Lacroix, J.; on behalf of Canadian Critical Care Trials Group and Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators. "Determinants of Antibiotic Tailoring In Pediatric Intensive Care: a National Survey"
- Anema A., Karim M.E., Milloy M.J., Wood E., McCandless L. "Directed Acyclic Graphs to Identify Confounders: A Case Study Exploring the Impact of Hunger on Virological Suppression Among HIV+ Illicit Drug Users Receiving HIV Treatment". In: Health of HIV Infected People: Food, Nutrition and Lifestyle with Antiretroviral Drugs [Volume 1]. Watson RS (Ed.) 2015. Elsevier Publishing Inc. [chapter abstract, preview]
- Karim (2013) "R Graph Essentials", Packt Publishing, ISBN: 1782165460, ISBN 13: 9781782165460
- Yanling; Cai, Jing; Chen, Jessica; Golchi, Shirin; Guan, Meijiao; Karim, M. E.; Liu, Yang; Tomal, Jabed; Xiong, Chao; Zhai, Yongliang; Lum, Conroy; Welch, W.J.; Zidek, James V. (2016) "An empirical experiment to assess the relationship between the tensile and bending strengths of lumber", Technical report 276, Department of Statistics, University of British Columbia. (report, PDF)
- Shirani, A and Zhao, Y and Karim, M. E and Evans, C and Kingwell, E and van der Kop, M and Oger , J and Gustafson, P and Petkau, J and Tremlett, H (2013). An observational study from British Columbia, Canada: interferon-beta treatment and disability progression in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. siicsalud (Neurology) [Authors' Report]
- See the list of unpublished reports / drafts here.
- "Causal Inference Approaches for Dealing with Time-dependent Confounding in Longitudinal Studies, with Applications to Multiple Sclerosis Research" under supervision of Paul Gustafson, Petkau, John, with Tremlett, Helen UBC in the supervisory committee (PhD, Fulltext)
- supported by a PhD studentship from the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada and by grants from the National MS Society and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
- "Evaluating the Performance of Hypothesis Testing in Case-Control Studies with Exposure Misclassification, using Frequentist and Bayesian Techniques" under supervision of Paul Gustafson, UBC (masters, fulltext)
- "Comparative Study on the different approaches of Frailty Model: A simulation Study" under supervision of A.H.M. M. Latif, ISRT, DU (masters, abstract, fulltext)
- "Modeling the Daily Rainfall Occurrence: A stochastic approach" under supervision of S.S. Hossain, ISRT, DU (undergraduate, abstract, fulltext)